Friday, May 13, 2011

Baby Things

In an effort to escape the monsoon yesterday, I went to Target. I happened to need a lot of baby products, so I decided to take pictures and share with you my favorites. We have gone through many, many baby things in the almost eight months of having Lila. I like to get the most bang for my buck. I would love your feedback about things you like and/or comparable items for a cheaper price. Categories include: diapers, wipes, diaper cream, lotions, shampoo/washes, breast pumps (sorry), bottles, pacis and formula.




Diapers








I like Luvs. When you first have a baby, you have to use Pampers Swaddlers I think. They are just "blankie soft" like my sister says, and smell like baby powder. Then you get over it. Luvs keep wetness away from Lila's skin and absolutely don't leak. AND...108 diapers for $17? Can't beat it. My hand looks big and weird in this picture.

Others I've tried: Pampers, Huggies and Target Brand




Wipes





I don't skimp here. Pampers Sensitive "Thick Care." Lila is so prone to diaper rash that the wipe we use is important. They are super moist an hypoallergenic. , you don't have to press very hard on their little bottoms to get all fresh and clean.




Others I've tried: Huggies and Target Brand


Diaper Cream









I like Burt's. It clears up diaper rash fast, is free of endocrine disrupting chemicals, and has a nice lavenderish scent. I also like Dr. Smith's.

Others I've tried: Desitin, A&D




Baby Wash/Shampoo







Umm I kind of just use whatever soap I want but I do like this Peter Rabbit Organics. I do have an issue with it not lathering very much. I use Johnson's as well.



Pacifers







MAM is the best. Babies love them and they're super cute.

Other brands I've tried: all of them




Breast pumps







This topic may frighten you if you've never had a child. But all I can say to you, in the most loving and kind tone possible, is...get over it!! Breastfeeding is the most nutritious and natural way we can feed our babies. We should be a society that encourages and accommodates women feeding their little ones the most perfect (and free) food. After talking with my sister, we think the Avent is the most comfortable and efficient pump. It's expensive but worth it. That being said....

Other brands I've tried: Lansinoh




Formula







Breastfeeding is unfortunately not always possible! There are many reasons why it may not work out - and that's ok! Lila's has severe milk, soy and peanut protein allergies, so we had to stop nursing after four months. At first she was on a prescription formula. But her allergies eventually improved and we were able to move on to OTC stuff. I was a little freaked out to move on to formula so soon, so I went on a hormone induced rage and incessantly researched the best brands. My findings: all formula is about the same. I will say, that Similac is the ONLY brand that does not contain high olein palm oil, which has been shown to block calcium absorption. Organic formulas are another option, but every brand I have found uses hexane to derive the fatty acids DHA & ARA. Yuck.
So Similac wins!

Bottles




Dr. Brown's are what we eventually stuck with. Great for acid reflux. Playtex Nurser bottles are also great for breastfed babies (Lila would only take these at first!)

Other brands I've tried: all of them


SO Lila is up from her nap!! Back to Life!! I'd love to hear what your experience has been like in land of baby things :)


2 comments:

  1. Here's my two cents--And you will probably notice that I'm not really attached to many brands...It helps us to be more flexible and get more for our money!

    Diapers- We use Pampers because they don't leak for us. I send in coupons to diapers.com and can usually get a really good deal. I may have to try Luvs, though!

    Wipes- Any

    Diaper rash cream- Desitin Maximum Strength (the 40% zinc one)

    Baby wash- Any kind that we have

    Paci- He doesn't take one...never really liked it

    Pump- I love my Madela. It doesn't hurt and it gets the job done quickly. I haven't tried others, though.

    Formula- I didn't know Lila had such bad allergies! That must have been so hard. I'm still breastfeeding, but we do give him formula if we are going to be away from him. It's just easier and gives me more flexibility...We started off using Similac...it worked for a while but started hurting his tummy. We switched to Enfamil and it was much better for his system. Now we use the Walmart brand of Enfamil! I never thought I'd use a generic kind, but I researched it and it's just as good! That was probably more than you wanted to know :)

    Bottles- Any but mainly the cheapo big Gerber ones with high flow nipples

    I can't wait to read more of your posts!! Fun stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your cents Kacie!! You definitely need to try Luvs. I almost like them more than Pampers now. Sometimes with Pampers, I would go get Lila in the morning and her pj's would be wet from leaks. That has never happened with Luvs.
    I really don't have much brand loyalty either bc I think you're right - flexibility does help save money. Like I don't get Burt's diaper cream everytime bc it's $10! It is my fave though!! :)
    I'm going to try the gerber bottles!! AND I'm going to make your Sweet Potato Cake tomorrow...love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete